Your mom probably surprised you with pancakes on some mornings too, right?
My mom is the pancake queen. It’s not that we have pancakes often, it’s just that when we do, she tries out a new recipe each time. In the same way that you can’t strike gold without digging through a bunch of piles of dirt, you can’t find the perfect pancake recipe without trying out gazillions of boring recipes.
Thanks to my mom, the work’s been done for you. These pancakes will blow your
mind taste buds. You don’t have to chop any fruit. You don’t have to use truckloads of sugar. You don’t even have to use white flour. You can use milk, buttermilk, or yogurt depending on what you’ve got in your fridge. Basically, I should stop describing it and just hand over the recipe. That’s what you came here for, right?
Mom’s Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancakes
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk (or yogurt or milk)
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1–1 ½ cups flour (whole wheat optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a large, slightly oiled pan at medium heat. Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.