In High School, I had a teacher who would occasionally go off topic. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Don’t all high school teachers do that? Yes. But this teacher was especially talented at it. To make a long story short, they bounced out of their seat one day and wrote a carrot cake recipe on the board. Don’t ask me why, because I don’t remember. All I know is that this teacher wrote down a recipe for one of my favorite desserts ever, and I studiously wrote it down.
That said, I’ve never actually made this recipe before, because this is no ordinary carrot cake. The teacher absolutely vouches for it, but it’s “healthy”. You know what I mean. Unconventional ingredients. Nothing too outlandish, just a couple different types of flour. This teacher loved exercise as much as you probably love food, so I think they came up with this recipe as a way to indulge without ruining their fitness efforts. Trust me, though, when I say I wouldn’t share a recipe without thinking that it’s worthy of being shared. Let me know if you try it out!
Hoppy’s Favorite Carrot Cake
1 ½ cups spelt flour
½ cup almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice? (their handwriting was hard to read here… all I know is there were two L’s next to each other)
1 cup sugar (or stevia)
1/3 jar applesauce
1 bag raisins
2 grated carrots
1/4 cup walnuts (smashed – optional)
*Note: You can’t have a carrot cake without cream cheese frosting, but I don’t have one to recommend to you yet. Stay tuned, and comment the link to the frosting recipe you used!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, cloves, and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl, combine the applesauce, eggs, sugar, raisins, walnuts, and carrots.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just mixed.
- Bake in a greased pan. Hoppy didn’t say for how long, so you’ll have to go by when it smells done until I test this out myself. At least 15 minutes, likely more.
- Once it has cooled, frost generously with the cream cheese frosting of your choice.